Today is a big day for me and Catching Health. First of all, it’s my birthday. I have reached the tender age of 69. Don’t ask me how I got here so fast. It happened in the blink of an eye!
To celebrate this special day, I’m changing the look of my Catching Health blog.
My new logo and the Catching Health branding were designed by Toderico Creative. Mike Toderico and his team also created the website graphics on my self-hosted site, some awesome new business cards, and the brand artwork on all the Catching Health social media sites, including Facebook and Twitter.
I hope you’ll take a moment to look at some new categories. In addition to regular blog posts, I’ve added a podcast, which will air every other Tuesday. On Wednesdays, you’ll find the answer to a common health question and on Thursdays, I’ll share a delicious recipe. And be sure to check out the Catching Health calendar and submit your own health events.
In the spirit of celebration, here’s the birthday cupcake recipe I promised. It’s compliments of Sue Till, Client Services Manager, Guiding Stars Licensing Company. Guiding Stars is Hannaford’s legacy nutrition guidance program.
Chocolate Beet Cupcakes
The hidden ingredient that gives these cupcakes their moist, tender texture and nutritional power is beets. It doesn’t take much to make an impressive little cake you can savor with delight. The best part? This little cake is so scrumptiously moist that you won’t feel the need to add frosting.
- Puree the beets with an immersion blender for the smoothest texture.
- Replace roasted beets with canned, whole beets. Just leave out the salt and rinse the beets thoroughly–it’s actually easier to get a good puree with canned beets, but the flavor isn’t quite as well-rounded as fresh roasted.
- Add a bit of spice for extra flavor! Cinnamon is a classic companion for chocolate, or a pinch of cayenne will impart a Mexican twist. If you want something bold and delightful, try a dash of cardamom paired with a bit of nutmeg and a bit of cinnamon.
Number of Servings: 10
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- 2 med. beets, roasted, peeled and pureed
- 1 c. unsweetened almond milk
- 1 t. lemon juice
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. Splenda
- 1/4 c. canola oil
- 2 t. vanilla extract
- 1 c. + 1 T. whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 c. + 1 T. cocoa powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/8 t. salt
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line a muffin tin with cupcake papers.
- Whisk together the almond milk and lemon juice and let sit for 5 minutes. Add sugar, Splenda, oil, vanilla, and 1/2 cup beets. Beat until foamy.
- Sift in flour. Add 1/2 cup cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt, mixing as you go. Mix until mostly smooth.
- Fill tins 3/4 full with batter. Bake 22-25 minutes, until toothpick in the center comes out with a fine crumb. Cool completely and dust with remaining cocoa powder.
Enjoy the cupcakes and if you have a health and wellness topic you’d like me to tackle, let me know in the comment section below.
Recommend this article